Here at Bishop Challoner Catholic College we have made the commitment to work towards becoming a School of Sanctuary.
We recognise the call of Pope Francis, who reminds us ‘The Gospel calls us to be neighbours of the smallest and most abandoned’.
The philosophy of Schools of Sanctuary is wholly consistent with our mission statement and we are excited for the opportunities to explore how our community can grow in our vision and commitment to the schools of sanctuary initiative.
In our community of faith
in Bishop Challoner Catholic College
we give glory to god by developing
our full potential
and in our service to others
in the name of the father and of the son
and of the holy spirit
What is a School of Sanctuary?
- A place of welcome for all
- A school that educates people about why people are forcibly displaced
- A school that recognises that the UK is enriched by new arrivals
- A school that supports pupils from all backgrounds to feel supported
- A school that promotes Social, Moral, Spiritual and cultural education and British values
- A school that encourages Imaginative engagement with curriculum areas such as literacy, language, arts, geography, history, RE
- A school that builds a school culture that reduces intolerance, hate speech and bullying
- A school that Increases pupil voice and promotes active citizenship
- A school that helps improve pupil outcomes and attendance through building a school where all feel safe and included.
What is happening at Bishop Challoner Catholic College?
Please view our 'Schools of Sanctuary' Related Blog below to see all of the wonderful things students do across all departments. Teachers look for opportunities to raise awareness for refugees through the content of their specific curriculum.